The building and construction industry has a wide variety of components that include bolt charts that determine the success of the project and the fulfillment of the desired objectives. The focus is not only on the use of big machinery, use of quality building materials like steel wood and concrete but also in the finer and most essential details like fasteners, which include bolts and nuts. Nuts are available in a variety of shapes, sizes, material, and thread types and patterns.
The types of nuts include:
- Coupling nuts- this type of bolt chart that nut consists of a cylindrical nut that joins two male threads.
- Flange nuts- they have a round flange acting as an external washer.
- Hex nuts- They are hexagonally shaped. These nuts are incredibly versatile but require a wrench for installation. The types of hex nuts available in the market are finished hex, semi-finished hex, hex flange, hex jam, heavy hex, and slotted hex.
- Locknuts- These types of nuts are available in a range of shapes. They are used to secure other nuts and prevent them from loosening and getting off
- Slotted nuts- These types of nuts are designed and made in such a way that they can do a locking mechanism with a safety wire.
- Square nuts- the nuts are characterized by their square shape.
- Wheel nuts- These nuts are used in automotive wheels
- Other types of nuts include cap, castle, and wing
The examples of bolts include:
- Carriage bolts- they have a domed head with a square underside. Often used with wood.
- Flange bolts- They have a hex head with an integrated flange as the washer.
- Plow bolts- they have a doomed design
- Squarehead bolts- they are defined by their head shape, which is square. This facilitates gripping and handling during installation.
The use of high-quality bolts and nuts brings along a lot of advantages. These include;
One of the concerns in construction is how well a structure is able to work according to the desired objectives. For example, a bridge structure should be able to contain and hold the weight of the vehicles passing on it. The use of high-quality bolts and nuts ensures that the bridge is strong enough and allows vehicles without compromising its integrity. High-quality bolts and nuts are not affected by adverse changes in weather conditions of the site. This, too, ensures that the integrity of the structure is not compromised.
People put in a lot of money, time, labor, and such in ensuring that they put up a structure that lasts long. Bolts and nuts that are low in terms of quality are susceptible to cracks, rust, and wear and tear. This means that the structure will not last long and will start having problems and might be damaged in a short time. On the contrary, the use of high-quality bolts and nuts as fasteners in a structure guarantees that the structure will be in service for a long time without there being a need to go back and fix broken fasteners.
During construction, it is very important to take care and ensure the safety of the workers on the site. Construction using bolts and nuts made of poor quality materials weaken the structure, making it unsafe. Construction of supportive structures during construction should be done using high-quality fasteners. This will make sure that the fabrics don’t come down during construction, therefore endangering the safety of the workers. High-quality bolts and nuts ensure the safety of the people that are assigned to use the structures.
Therefore, it is very important to consider the type of bolts and nuts to use in construction and always go for the high-quality ones.