Are you considering starting a massage therapy business? Do you have trouble finding the right space for your business? If yes is your answer to these questions, then here is an article to guide you out of your troubles. Starting a massage therapy business can be challenging, especially for a beginner. Despite the challenges associated with the business, owning a massage therapy business has numerous benefits. First of all, as a massage therapist, you get the freedom you have been craving for. Flexibility is another added advantage because you are under no one’s authority as the business is yours. Below are tips to help you have a simple time starting a legal massage therapy business.
1) Get a Permit
If you want your massage business to be legally recognised by the local authorities, then your first order of business should be getting all the paperwork in order. Below are the permits you should have before you take any step further in renting a room for your massage therapy business:
• Massage Therapist’s License. If you completed massage therapy school, then you probably have this license. If you never got your license, then you should go for it. This license shows you have the qualifications to offer massage therapy services to clients.
• Register the Business. This is a crucial step that all businesses go through before being allowed to operate. It is done for tax purposes. After registering your business, you can then open a bank account in the name of the business. The bank account will enable you to manage your business finances. Also, you should acquire insurance. The purpose of insurance is to protect you from damages and losses that might arise while practising.
• Seller’s permit. This is unnecessary, but you need this permit if you are considering selling anything other than massaging services.
• File a DBA. If you assign your business a different name from your legal name, you need to get a DBA (Doing Business As).
2) Identify the Best Location
Location matters a lot when starting a business. This is no different when setting up a massage therapy business. You should find a location that clients can find and access with ease. First, find a location near where you live so that you an easy time commuting to and from the workplace every day. Secondly, ensure the space is large enough to accommodate the number of employees you intend to hire, clients that will be coming, and the number of treatment rooms you want for your business, including the reception area. Also, find a location that has ample security and parking space. For ease in finding therapy rooms for rent, visit here.
3) Hold Negotiation Talks with Landlord
Having a good relationship with the landlord is crucial. This is because how happy you will be with where your business depends on how you relate with the landlord. Therefore, before you rent a room for your massage therapy business, hold negotiation talks with the landlord. This will help you reach an agreement on how much to pay for space, how long you can delay paying the rent, options for renewing the lease. It would be best you have legal or financial representation before signing any lease agreement. When starting a business, I would advise you to start with a short lease term. As your business grows, you can reconsider moving into a larger space or signing a longer lease term.
4) Consider Costs
When searching for a room for your massage therapy business, you should consider several expenses. Knowing how much you will incur to make your business stand on its own can save you a lot of stress. Therefore, draft a business plan to know your business’s future financial needs. The initial costs will include obtaining permits, insurance, purchasing equipment, furnishings and supplies, and the cost of renting a space.
5) Branding and Marketing Your New Business
Once the hard part is out of the way, all you are left with to ensure your business hits the ground running is branding and marketing it. Branding will make your business stand out from the rest. This will, in turn, attract more clients bringing profits. Also, use different marketing techniques to reach out to a wide audience.
Leave a Reply