If you wear glasses and want to get rid of them, you can consider a LASIK procedure. There are several advantages to going in for LASIK.
1. Improved eyesight
Various studies have shown that patients who have undergone this surgery have reported improved vision. 85% of these people have reported an uncorrected visual acuity of 20/40. Another 90% reported a score of 40/40.
Your eyesight can be improved further by a small outpatient procedure.
LASIK is a painless procedure. Surgeons pour eye-numbing drops that shut off any pain to your eyes while the surgery is on.
3. Long-lasting results
Your vision correction is going to be long-lasting. However, you will have to wait for 3-4 months for the results to stabilize. However, if your surgeon has over or under repaired your cornea, you may have to return to surgery. Your eyesight may also be affected later on by disease or surgery. You may like to get your eyes evaluated for LASIK; please click this website to know more about the subject.
4. Quick results
You can join work just the next day after your LASIK surgery. Results are quick, and you recover almost instantaneously. However, your eye surgeon may recommend that you don’t drive your car until after a few days after the surgery. Avoid working, sitting or moving in dirty areas; dust in the air may irritate your eyes.
5. Say goodbye to contacts
The average cost of a pair of contacts is between $350 to $400. When you go in for LASIK, you save on this cost for a long time to come. Of course, the cost of LASIK is many times that of your contacts, you can save on the latter cost over several years. There is also the added cost of the effort of changing your contacts, cleaning and taking care of these devices.
6. No more glasses
Similarly, there is no need for glasses to post your LASIK surgery. Depending upon the surgery, your vision is now near-perfect, and there is no need to buy expensive frames and lenses. In short, LASIK not just takes care of your eyes, but also saves you money. You can enjoy your favorite game of basketball and other contact sports after LASIK.
7. Your eyes are not bandaged during this procedure. There are no stitches either.
After your LASIK is over, you will have to observe a few precautions. What are those?
- Please relax for a couple of hours after the surgery with your eyes closed. This will help in faster recovery.
- Medications- Please take the medicines as prescribed, don’t avoid them. Your doctor will prescribe you three different eye-drops. One of those will be to induce artificial tears. Please apply this eye-drop even if your eyes are not dry. Not applying these drops may cause the flap to dislodge from your cornea.
- Don’t rub your eyes- During LASIK, the eye flap on your cornea is folded in a manner that the surgeon can reach inside and do the needful. After the surgery is over, he unfolds the flap back into position. Once the surgery is over, don’t rub your eyes, else the flap will move away from its position.
- Protective eye shields- Wear a protective eye cover during sleeping so that you don’t accidentally rub your eyes.
- Wear glasses of darker shades for a few days after your surgery to avoid the sun rays. This helps your cornea to heal quickly. Wearing dark glasses also protects your eyes from harmful UV rays.
To sum up, LASIK is an extremely effective surgical procedure for your eyes. However, please take the necessary precautions.
Leave a Reply