The percentage of married Americans has been in steady decline since the 1950s, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Today, only about 50 percent of Americans are married and the percentage of individuals who never married is nearly 30 percent. All of this adds up to more single people in the U.S. than ever before.
Those reentering the dating scene after a break-up or hiatus can view these numbers optimistically — it means you are not alone and that there actually are plenty of fish in the single sea. Jumping back into that sea can be scary, though. For those ready to take the plunge into the current world of dating, here are three tips to help you quickly and confidently get back in the game.
Trust Your Gut
This tip refers to more than just avoiding guys who give you a creepy vibe. Trust your instincts when it comes to commitment, too. Most singles are familiar with this scenario: Boy meets girl and they seem to hit it off. They share common interests and there’s great chemistry, but there’s this nagging little voice in girl’s head that tells her something isn’t quite right. Boy leaves the room to take certain phone calls and seems to be holding back. Then BAM! Boy dumps girl and gets back together with his ex-girlfriend. If the signs are there that he’s not quite over his ex, don’t ignore them. Nobody wants to be the rebound. If he’s not emotionally available, you’ll know it and it’s time to move on.
Communicate What You Want
Even though a recent eharmony study found that 70 percent of singles are looking for a serious relationship, that still leaves a sizable 30 percent who are not. At any given time, in the book of love, people may be on different pages. If you meet someone and seem to be hitting it off, it is easy to assume that you are both in it for the same reasons. But not everyone is looking for true love, nor is everyone looking for a casual friend with benefits. Knowing what you want and communicating that to any potential partners will save you time and precious effort.
Treat Yourself to Self-Care Products
The assumption that nothing is more attractive than confidence is more than just hearsay as a study on attractive traits found that both men and women rate confidence as “very attractive” in a potential mate, according to the Society for Personality and Social Psychology. The problem is confidence can be a little elusive, especially if you are a little rusty at dating.
A surefire way to build confidence is to spend a little money pampering yourself. You don’t have to go all out on an expensive day at the spa, though. There are a number of everyday proven skin and makeup products that can give your number one asset, your face, a glowing, radiant look. An eyelash boosting serum is a great product that can enhance your facial features and help your lashes appear thicker and fuller. This is great for women who have been trying to figure out how to get thicker looking eyelashes without resorting to eyelash extensions. A small indulgent purchase can remind you that you are valuable and worthy, while enhancing your natural beauty and hence bolstering your confidence.
So, if you feel it is time to return to the dating game, remember to trust your instincts, be upfront about what kind of relationship you are looking for, and boost your confidence by treating yourself to a little indulgence. Remember, it’s OK to be picky. There really are plenty of fish in the sea.