For many people, Macau is directly linked to a kind of Las Vegas in Asia. Even though the emergence of online sites like onlinecasinodeutschland.com.de displacing physical casinos, Macau and Las Vegas is still a magnet for gamblers from all over the world.
Well, it’s true that this is one of the places on this planet that gamers consider to be a true paradise. But we don’t have to limit Macao to this aspect of pleasure. He was able to visit very well without being a player and plunged into this small area of 30 km2, but was rich in mixed civilization, which was marked by the 400 years of Portuguese rule. Macau is clearly the destination to be included in your list if you visit Asia!
In the historic district of Macau, or the Center for Macau History, you must go to find no less than 20 monuments and places in the heart of the city. This district is registered with the Unesco heritage. This part of Macao will delight architecture lovers.
Four centuries of Portuguese power are seen in every corner. One can be surprised by the charm of narrow streets, Baroque styles from many churches and the traces of Portuguese left on the front of most houses. Portuguese heritage has been perfectly preserved and allows those who want to return to the past, far from the excitement of hotel-casinos.
The important one
If you want to go to the essentials and see sites that must be visited in Macau, here is the list, clearly incomplete:
– Coloane Island (for its forests, beaches, there are also Chinese beauty temples).
– A-Ma Temple (for many of its pavilions which reflect the times and different influences of Macau. A-Ma Temple was built to celebrate the goddess of the same name, protector of sailors and fishermen).
– Macao Tower (takes a little height because Macao Tower is the tenth largest tourist tower in the world).
– Lisboa Casino (even if you don’t play, take a look at this unique casino that was built in the 60s and whose decor is great).
– Taipa Island (here you will find the largest casino in the city: The Venetian). Because yes, it is also necessary for game lovers!
– Ruins of the Mother of God of Macao Church (The ruins of a 16th century church destroyed by fire in 1835 stand before you.
If you are lucky and visit Macau during the Moon Festival, you might be able to enjoy the incredible spectacle of the internationally recognized Fireworks Competition.
Geography: The city of Macau is located 63 km east of Hong Kong on the western edge of the Pearl River Delta, directly opposite Hong Kong. You can also visit the last one via the ferry, counting one hour’s journey.
Status: Officially, Macau has been attached to China since 1999. He enjoys the status of a “special administrative area”, as in Hong Kong.
Languages: There are two official languages in Macao, Mandarin and Portuguese. You will find many street names that are still written in Portuguese on a plate. If you speak English, you can get away, you speak languages in shops and tourist attractions (restaurants, hotels, casinos etc.), but it can be more complicated (and fun) if you take a taxi for example. Tip: write on paper your destination address in Chinese.
Religion: There is a majority of Buddhists in Macau and also a Catholic minority.
Join the discussion on this topic with Neighborgoods by visiting our contact page.