Tabby cats, or simply, tabbies, are not a breed of cat. Tabby actually pertains to a coat pattern. Such particular pattern is among the most discussed topics on cat articles. This is due to the fact that tabby is considered the most common coat pattern among felines.
Tabbies are characterized by bold stripes on their fur throughout their body and an M marking on their forehead. They closely resemble to Felis domesticus or tiger cats. Other well-known tabbies are Garfield, The Cheshire Cat, Morris, and Heathcliff. However, these feline characters were not able to accurately depict the personality of tabby cats.
Again, tabbies are not a specific breed. Rather, they can be found in almost all breeds of felines. As such, their personalities are primarily inherited from the breed they belong to.
However, there are some personality traits that can be observed among tabbies in general. We don’t say that all tabbies have these traits but apparently, most of them do; regardless of the breed.
- Tabbies are seen to be very loving and affectionate. They simply enjoy being with their humans and easily enjoy their company.
- Tabby cats are naturally playful. They love to play not only with their humans but with other pets around the house as well. As such, kids tend to easily love their tabbies and return the affection.
- Tabbies also tend to be moody at times. They can be playful one moment, then shy the next. They may also be active sometimes then lazy at other times.
- Tabby cats are also found to be intelligent. You can train them and even play fetch with them.
- Their personalities may also be largely influenced by their surroundings. They can be shaped by how their owners live with them.
- Tabby cats have their favorites. They have a favorite place, favorite person in the family, or favorite thing to play with.
- Tabbies are generally not aggressive. They are very easy-going and would prefer not to attack strangers or stray animals.
- Tabbies are domestic and easily make a wonderful pet, companion even.
What’s not to love about tabbies? Their loving personality will just make you love them more. You can train them, play with them, or simply pet them. They won’t fight with your other pets and are friendly even with your guests. Regardless of their breed, tabbies sure are great to have in any household.